Basic Progressions - Part 2 - "Oh How I Love Jesus"

In this video blog, I go into some of the more advanced chords and substitutions of "Oh How I Love Jesus".  If you haven't already, I encourage you to view the first video in the two part series.  Part one covers the very basic progressions of the song.  Understanding the basics is critical to building further upon the foundation it sets.  I also explain some of the chords in the substitutions that I use in this video.  If you have any questions at all, I encourage you to post them to this blog because we have a wealth of musicians that can help you gain a better understanding.  And as always if you are an accomplished musician and have some insight to share with everyone else, please do.

Letron Brantley
CEO & Founder
GospelSkillz.com

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments

• 6/18/2007 2:31 AM Alfonso wrote:
    Cannot access the video lessons.Please HELP really would like to learn from U
    1. 6/24/2007 4:30 PM Letron Brantley - CEO wrote:
      I'm sorry you are having problems viewing the video. There are some things you can check:

1. The video is a Windows Media Player video so make sure you have WMP or a player that will play .WMV files.

2. If you are viewing from work, some IT departments block video because it causes too much traffic on the network. Therefore you may have to wait until you go home or to another location other than your job.

3. There may be some other problem that could be preventing you from viewing the video. Have a friend or relative try and see if they have the same problem.

Please keep me informed as to what you find because it is important to me that you are able to view the videos. If there is a problem that is related to anyone of the above reasons, I would love to share it with other visitors so that everyone can have the best experience possible.

Letron
  • 6/18/2007 5:22 AM ASHLEY wrote:
    THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HEARD GOSPEL MUSIC SO PURE,AND I REALLY LOVE IT.I CAN'T PLAY PIANO,BUT YOU MAKE IT SOUND SO EASY THAT I CHANGE MY MIND-I ALSO WANT TO PLAY PIANO.
    1. 6/19/2007 9:38 PM Letron Brantley-CEO wrote:
      Ashley,

I'm glad you were inspired from my blog. This is exactly what I am trying to do for those such as yourself. The key is to make the decision that you want to play and then decide how involved you want to be with it. This will help you decide your practice plan. Make sure you subscribe to my blog so you can get notification of any new videos I post instantly. Also keep me informed of your progress.

Letron
  • 6/18/2007 5:56 AM JMack wrote:
    I really like this video. The first one was also good. I know harder songs with tougher movements but for the short time I've been playing (3yrs), I've never had to play this song nor a very similar song. Thats one of the things that makes this great for me. This is a style (the old gospel) I need to be fluent in but yet I lack because of my problems with rhythms, bass notes, and fill-ins/chord substitutions. I've always thought I needed to be more sloppy to play this style but I can see from your fingering its not sloppy at all. Showing the basic format first I think was key to me understanding the advanced version and why I hear musicians take songs I know the basic way and make them "special."

This happened to me last Tuesday at revival in fact. I played with a different organ player than I usually play with and we did "I Will Trust in the Lord." I basically had to sit back and listen and learn because she was going to the sixth tone and the flat five (diminished) chord and times I wouldn't expect and it was different from how I usually play the song which was much more simple than the chords and substitutions she used. I love that style though so maybe I can take some things from this video and apply it to many more songs I play.

No one would happen to know of a dvd that shows this type of technique/style more in depth would they???
    My current videos mainly cover contemporary movements, worship chords, and shout music. I would like to view a video that shows traditional style in depth.
    1. 6/19/2007 9:46 PM Letron Brantley-CEO wrote:
      JMack,

You make a good point. It seems that everyone is so caught up with contemporary playing that the roots are sometimes forgotten. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of contemporary voicings and movements, but it is refreshing to see and hear musicians play in a more traditional style every now and then. I have a good video that gives you a more traditional style of playing. It's call "Learn Gospel Piano" by Ethel Caffie-Austin. Check out http://www.gospelskillz.com/piano.asp

Letron
      1. 6/20/2007 5:18 PM JMack wrote:
        Thanks alot man.
  • 6/18/2007 7:24 AM alex lombard wrote:
    I am a Jazz Musician with a theory background my problem is how to use chord subs playing standard hymns as u demostrated on your video basically the 2nd video u did on chord substitution.This video was very enlightening for me as I will be basically playing hymns in the church i work in.I would like to play them with the kind of subs you used I have a understanding of 7th chords 9 11 4th chords etc but how to use them in the context of playing hymns is my question your demo or dvd is exactly the info i have been searching for do you have any books out on substitutions or how to in playing basic hymns instead of playing like the hymns are in hymn books I will appreciate any help u can give me in this area of playing God Bless.
    1. 6/24/2007 6:10 PM Letron Brantley - CEO wrote:
      Alex,

You are not the only one that struggles with substitutions. There are MANY musicians out there (including myself) who would attest to this. Any musician that does substitutions fluently would tell you that what you hear as they are playing is what they hear in their head. Well you might ask, "Why can't I hear the same things they are hearing?" There are a couple of reasons for this:

1. Musicians come from different backgrounds in which they were associated with a set of musicians that do certain substitutions for certain songs.

2. You have musicians out there who are educated enough to know that certain chords can substitute others, such as 7 can substitute 1 in many cases.

What it ultimately boils down to, ESPECIALLY in "freestyle" playing, is what you HEAR.

The best way to get those substitutions in your head is to listen to players that play the subs you like. Record them if you can and go home and practice them. I am primarily a saxophonist, but from playing with gospel musicians for years, I can hear some of the same subs they hear and many times I can anticipate and follow them.

I will put up a blog soon with some little rules for subs and progressions that are used in jazz a lot but you can also use them in gospel. I could talk forever about this but I guess I don't want to write a novel :o)

Keep me informed and let me know how you are doing with subs. I'd like to share it with other musicians.

Letron
  • 6/18/2007 3:31 PM carol scruggs wrote:
    awesome way to learn
    1. 6/24/2007 6:17 PM Letron Brantley - CEO wrote:
      Carol,

Thanks. There will be more where that came from. Stay tuned.

Letron
  • 6/18/2007 7:05 PM dale wrote:
    wow
    1. 6/24/2007 6:23 PM Letron Brantley - CEO wrote:
      Hey Dale. I hope that's a good thing! :o)

Thanks for stopping by.
  • 6/19/2007 9:04 AM Roderick Hill wrote:
    This post was great! The substitutions used were great. explanation was good also
    1. 6/24/2007 6:33 PM Letron Brantley - CEO wrote:
      Roderick,

Thanks. I appreciate it. I am working to try to be very clear when I cover these concepts. If you see any area for improvement in the future, please let me know.

Letron
  • 8/5/2007 12:31 PM Joseph D. Roe wrote:
    WOW...Bro. Letron, the lesson for the Part 2 of,"Oh How I Love Jesus" is exactly what I needed!!! I started playing and my wife couldn't believe it was me. I can't believe it's me(smile). Thanks a million for sharing what you have been blessed with. I so appreciate the lessons that you've taught me. Now I'm writing it out in the other 11 keys, YES!!!

Joseph D. Roe
    1. 8/8/2007 2:00 PM Letron Brantley wrote:
      But Joseph, we've just begun. I have much more coming at you soon. The key is to stay focused on your goal and you will no doubt succeed.

Letron Brantley
      CEO & Founder
      GospelSkillz.com
      1. 8/8/2007 7:48 PM Joseph D. Roe wrote:
        You see there, Letron, just you saying those words have sparked me even the more(smile)... WOW, where were you 15 years ago(smile)? For me, you were in the Lord's plan concerning my desire to play the piano with extreme skillfulness. Because of your vision, many like myself are fulfilling their dreams... THANKS A MILLION!!!

Joseph D. Roe
      2. 8/8/2007 7:58 PM Joseph D. Roe wrote:
        Letron, I have another and I need your help, please. I at times have such a problem with a song in the other keys once I've learned it. Playing it in E flat is down pat but when I move on to E, it's at times hard to remember the song after not playing it for a while. My transition is good but my remembering the song with the change of chords, ect. is challenging. I know I haven't been playing but for 2 1/2 months but is there something I can do to make things better for myself. It is so easy to learn a song and just play it to death but the reality of it is to write it out in the other 11 keys. I'm trying so hard and yet I'm having so much fun in practicing the way I do. Help me...

Joseph D. Roe
  • 8/25/2007 10:04 PM J.M wrote:
    Hey can you post more videos like Lord I lift Your Name on High with the Beginner and Advanced Parts

This video was a blessing and that I learned so many new advanced chords

Keep up the good work and I hope to see more
  • 8/27/2007 6:38 PM Sharon wrote:
    Hi there! First, let me say how helpful your videos are! I have been playing "at" the piano for many years -- I've even played for a church choir and still do, to some extent. But I've always known that my playing was very rough and very uninspired-sounding ... I could never explain to anybody what I meant by that, so I couldn't help but smile when your video summed it up for me -- I play the "Basic" chords but "hear" the substitutions in my head and just couldn't find them to play them. Very frustrating! So now I have some hope.

I also have some questions. I took piano lessons as a kid and vaguely remember the terms that you use -- the progressions and the fifths etc. -- but have long since forgotten the details. Is that critical to relearn? If so, do you have any suggestions for where I might find that?

Next, a suggestion -- the only complaint I have about the video itself is that it is difficult for me to determine exactly which keys your fingers are pressing. I am sitting here with my keyboard on my lap, trying to mimic your movements, but I press wrong keys because it looks like your fingers are pressing keys they aren't pressing. Is there any way you could use a keyboard that lights up each key as it's pressed? (smile) That might sound comical but truly would be a help!

Thanks for all you are doing!!
    1. 9/1/2007 11:17 PM Joseph D. Roe wrote:
      What I want to know is will someone please give me the advance chords to the song, "Lord I Lift Your Name On High". Someone please help me... I do agree with Sharon, sometimes the keys are hard to determine which ones are being pressed and released.

DRoe
  • 4/10/2008 7:50 AM Will wrote:
    This was a very good demonstration, it was very clear.

Except, toward the end of the song, when you walked up from the bII chord(flat 2; I think it was a D diminished ) step wise to the IV (4), the lyrics were on "Oh I".

I could see the bass walking up from D to F#, but, what chords were you playing with the right hand?
  • 7/2/2008 12:45 PM Lucien wrote:
    I would like you to do a video that shows us how we can play around with some Jazz voicings, like the ones you showed us at the end of the video. GREAT VIDEO, LOVED IT.
  • 11/8/2008 10:52 PM Zachary wrote:
    Sloppy? why does it got to be sloppy to be old school?? I rather have sloppy old school playin then, than that stick up they butt Conservative "Contemporary" Contempary makes for a Very Dry Service!! I know we got sum dignitaries in our Church,, But,, Please,, Give Shoutin John his Moment!! For real,,,!!!
  • 1/22/2009 12:23 PM Kimberly wrote:
    The video was very helpful. I have played for quite some time but I did not know how to make the fancier sounding chords. This has helped my playing a great deal. I will now try to substitute the new chords that I have learned in different songs.
  • 5/22/2009 7:38 PM Davont'e wrote:
    I'm jus here to say that all of us musicians that have commented should be grateful for someone takin so much time and responsibility to help us musicians all over the nation. god bless!
  • 9/10/2009 9:43 AM Element Q wrote:
    That was great. I am a seasoned jazz kpianist transitioning to gospel for church and I really appreciated the chord substitution especially the Rootless. I look forward to more!!!
  • 4/9/2010 9:16 AM Bonita Frisco wrote:
    My Grandson, has been blessed to want to worship God, with his Guitar or the piano. I was able to pay for his lesson only a short period of time. I there anyone you know that would be willing to sow some teaching time with him. I can pay something, but not much as yet. Please reply quickly and I declare The Blessing of God.